Followers

October 26, 2009

Only 20% of American stimulus package spent

POLITICS - Some people are arguing the United States needs another stimulus package to jolt it out of recession faster.

What they don't realize is that as of September only 20% of the stimulus has actually been spent so far. By the end of 2009 about 25% will be spent. The other 75% is slated to be spent during 2010.

Thus 2010 is the year to expect recovery.

Why the delay? Because roads, buildings, etc. take time to build. You can't expect these things to be built overnight. It takes at least a year or two.

However these jobs end up going to people who already have experience in the construction and road works industry. What about all the Americans who lack experience, lack education and can't find work because they simply don't have the right skills and experience?

What America needs then is jobs ANYBODY can do, and I'd argue the answer is in the farming and food industry. True, not everyone has a green thumb when it comes to growing vegetables, but its a fairly easy skill to learn and it guarantees at the very least food for the people doing the work. To make it profitable however you'd have to do two things first: #1. Have the land required to grow enough vegetables to make it profitable. #2. Have a place where you can sell those vegetables, ie. a local grocery store.

Beyond that there's also the possibility of starting your own business selling jam, pies, tarts, salads, pastries and baked goods.

And if not in the food industry there's also building or fixing things. Manufacturing something that people need is a good way to start your own business. To do this however you might need to sign for some training, depending on the task you want to do.

And there's no shortage of American's out there right now available to do such work. If you combine the number of people who are unemployed, on welfare or only working odd jobs / temp jobs it adds up to a staggering 17% of Americans who either aren't working or are under-employed.

Office jobs don't stimulate the economy, and frankly there's such a shortage of office jobs right now why bother looking for them? What America needs is manufacturing jobs that actually create a product instead of just sponging money off the system.

If a person is unemployed they really have three options:
#1. Find a job in a field where they have experience & the right skills.
#2. Get more education to get a job in the field they want.
#3. Start their own business, possibly by improving upon an existing product or turning it into a niche market (ie. fat-free high-protein cookies).

See Also:
American Economy Lacks Manufacturing
American Economy Collapsing

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments containing links will be marked as spam and not approved. We moderate every comment. If you want to advertise on this blog it is $30 per link.

Affordable Website Design & SEO

Looking for a quality professional website designer? Why not go where the smart money is?! Toronto Website Design and Toronto SEO. Get free SEO advice from people who really know the business.

Featured Posts

The Sarcasm Symbol
Ever had some confusion online or with your cellphone when someone fails to catch the sarcasm? Well now with the SarcMark you can ge...
Behold, the Scorpion Hydrogen Supercar
CARS - To the right is the future of supercars... it is a hydrogen supercar called the Scorpion. The Scorpion from Ronn Motors in Texas is t...
Documents show Stephen Harper misusing public funds
CANADA - According to 950+ pages of documents obtained by the Canadian Press under the Access to Information Act the Privy Coun...
Pink's Rosie the Riveter
ENTERTAINMENT - What I like about this video is how it meshes different social movements like feminism, veganism, anti-capitalism...
California's Dustbowl
ENVIRONMENT - The photo on the right is a farm in California that has been put up for sale. Its just one of thousands of farms that are n...
Is Steampunk the New Goth???
GOTHIC - Watch out what you see on the subway late at night because while in 2001 you might have seen some pretty freakish goths, by 20...
Do you have enough Ice Water in your diet?
HEALTH - A Calorie (large C) is a measurement of the amount of energy needed to raise the temperature of a litre of water (1 kg's worth) ...
North Korean timeline towards Inevitable War
POLITICS - The following is timeline of events that have occurred on the Korean Peninsula. 1945 - Japan surrenders to the United States a...
Judgment Day is Tomorrow, so sayeth Cult
RELIGION - According to a cult based in California, Judgement Day is tomorrow (May 21st 2011) and Jesus Christ will return to the Earth a...
Sex in Space Forbidden
SEX/TECHNOLOGY - Sex in outer space is a big no-no according to NASA. Not for professional astronauts at least, but the growing numb...

Popular Posts